Catering services are fun if you like it so much but work is work; it is challenging. Working as a caterer may seem easy but actually you need to understand that it is not just about making food and serving it. There are a lot of things that you need to pay attention to so let’s discover the most important points that you need to take care of to become a professional caterer.
1. The place of work:
Where you want to work as a caterer is important to decide. There are two main places for working; home and restaurant and both require you to have some food safety certificates.
If you want to open a business, you will need three main things.
• A shop. The shop should be in a place that is crowded with the type of customers that you will serve food to. For example, if you will open a lunchtime catering services business, you will need a place near schools and companies.
• The suitable equipment for the type of services you will run.
• A safety building license and a small business license.
If you will run your business from home, you will need three main things too.
• A way that your staff can handle the job without running your home.
• Two kitchens; one kitchen will be for your family and a bigger one for the business.
• A license to run this home service and safety food and place licenses.
2. Be prepared for all kinds of situations:
Any business that deals with different kinds of clients will put the business owner and the staff under pressures from time to time. You as the owner of the place will face problems like unprofessional employees, rude customers and burnt food at least once a week. Try your best to handle the situations professionally and always have back up plans that you can use at any time.
3. Practice and training:
If you are fond of food, you may practice for this job every day without even realizing that you do. When you decide to open a professional business, you need to promote from the amateur level of being a caterer to becoming professional. Learn more ways of making and serving food and try what you have learnt at a party then ask your friends and family for their honest feedbacks.
Training is for the inexperienced employees who want to work at the catering business. They will work for you for less money but they will do a lot of mistakes. The best thing to do is to hire some professional caterers and let the beginners learn from them step by step.
4. You just want to be a caterer:
Some people love to serve food but making food puts a lot of pressure on them. If you are one of these people, just make a deal with a restaurant to work for him as a professional caterer. You will do what you love most and you will be put under any pressures.
This will help you start your career as a professional caterer. Enjoy both your work and your passion.